How much do you know about herbs and spices?
Here’s a quick quiz.
- What is the key ingredient in Pesto and the name of Faulty Towers tall owner?
- Which Salvia is also called ‘See Bright’ or ‘Clear Eye’ because it has been traditionally used to treat eye conditions?
- What is tiniest part of the Acacia plant, when roasted it tastes somewhat like hazelnut, chocolate and coffee?
- What orchid pod is dried and is used extensively as flavouring, especially in sweets?
- There is a herb that causes nasty stinging to the skin, but also has its own healing property as rubbing the crushed leaves of this herb relief its own sting. What is it?
- Can you name this “Cat herb’, with the botanical name Teucrium marum?
- Which spice is the ground outer covering of the nutmeg seed?
- What herb is used as Moxa in Traditional Chinese Medicine, while in Europe, it is used to make as a substitute for hops to make beer?
- What berry leaf is said to be the Women’s Herb?
- Which herb is also known as Cilantro?
Answers: 1 Basil; 2 Clary Sage; 3 Wattle Seed; 4 Vanilla; 5 Nettle; 6 Cat Thyme; 7 Mace; 8 Mugwort; 9 Raspberry Leaf; 10 Coriander